Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tofu


Do you eat tofu or soybean curd? I am a fan of tofu, aside from potatoes, beans and pasta that I stack in my pantry; a block of tofu is always at hand in my fridge.

I eat tofu probably twice or thrice a week; it’s my cheapest and dependable ulam ha-ha!  Yes, it is the cheapest protein anyone can get.  You know I am a frugal mom and on schooldays that I was always left alone, all alone to eat my lunch,  next to pasta dishes that I can quickly cooked and the  left over food that I can reheat; tofu is one of the easiest, quickest, cheapest and healthy viand for my lunch!

What’s in tofu?
Tofu is made from dried soybeans, it is produced by grinding, then filtered and boiled to form a milk-like sub-stance, which is compressed and left to congeal. The mass is dried up into a jellylike solid, it is cut into a palm sized cubes.

Since it is made from soybean it is high in protein and low in fat.  The day I discern that this following benefits I get for eating tofu:
1. helps lower bad cholesterol
2. lessen symptoms associated with menopause because it contains isoflavone
3. lowers risk of cancer
4. makes middle-aged bones stronger

I became a tofu fan!

I have friends that don’t like tofu, they say tofu taste bland. No!  I insist to them that tofu is versatile, the spongy texture of tofu acquire the taste of any ingredient it is mixed with. I have cooked my tofu in more than a few ways – stir fry with  any vegetables and with different kinds of sauces like oyster sauce, teriyaki sauce, chili-garlic sauce etc.



Oh, yesterday these was my lunch,  I have a fried tofu with spicy vinegar dip, paired with breaded okra. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment