Friday, January 25, 2013

Hair at 40’s


I really have a problem with my hair, my once shiny locks are now dull and straggly, every day when I take a shower I could see thousands of hair strands in my shower plug tray.

 Oh, I really freak out! What happened to my thick and lustrous hair? Am I going to be bald? I noticed these changes when I entered 40.


Waa…What will I do to my hair?
Wait...before that, I should understand what is happening to my hair, what is happening to my body. Here are some nice facts that I got online:

  1. Blame it to the hormones hahaha! I learned that by time women reach in their 40s like me, I am entering the peri-menopause; this is the time when levels of estrogen start to fall slowly at first and then more rapidly as women aged. At peri-menopause and menopause stage, women’s hair follicles begin to die. This is the reason why my hair becomes drier and duller, my estrogen levels are declining.
  2. Female pattern baldness.  It means hair loss is hereditary. I am now looking at the pictures of my older relatives and looks like we don’t have this pattern. 
  3. Hair styling abuse, bleaching, dyeing hair and overuse of blow dryer, flat iron and curling iron will all start to take their toll when a woman reach 40s.
  4. 4Emotional stress.  Because the stress sets our hormones out of balance.

So what should I do now?
  1. First, I should shun away from stress hahaha!
  2. And since my estrogen is declining, the clever remedy is to increase my estrogen level. I will incorporate estrogen-rich food in my diet such as: tofu, soya milk,  oats, brown rice, whole grain pasta, chick peas, lima beans, edemame, apples, papaya, kiwi, oranges, bananas, spinach, squash, asparagus, cauliflower, corn, carrots, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes and yams
  3. Of course I will continue to exercise, but not zealously. Why? Because I’ve read a study that excessive exercise has been linked to a drop in estrogen levels.
  4. I am a coffee drinker and was happy to find out that women who drink more than two cups of coffee per day may have higher estrogen levels than women who don't.
  5. I have a shoulder-length hair and I’ve read that that my hair should be cut with layers because layers defined shape and frame the face. Also, I found out that a low, sleek ponytail is a polished look for 40s women. 
  6. And since my hair gets brittle, I need a hot-oil treatment every week and trim my hair every two months.

I do hope these feats I will take will give remedy to my hair problem.

29 comments:

  1. I am just so thankful that female baldness is not in our family. That's something that's hard to go against, fighting to keep your locks. :-) Layering is not a good option for me. I have a love-hate relationship with that style hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy too that I don't have hair problems. I can for a day without combing it and it will still look good :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had hair problems. My hair tends to dry fast so I regularly use dry hair serum. Now, I stopped rebonding my hair for almost 2 years now. I think it has to do with my hair getting so dry and damaged. So I am now working at reviving my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i started having hair problems when I moved here in Dubai. My hair fall is just too much and I stopped having treatments such as cellophane, straightening and rebonding. I am now having hot oil twice a month for my hair maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are realities of life that as much as we want to shy away from, it's really going to happen. So to counter it or to live with it, your tips are good to begin with. Styling or cutting it at a length and in a style that will make it look healthy. Not to use anymore treatments etc. I'm only 30ish and I do have a looot of falling hair already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem with my hair, or rather my scalp is dandruff. It's soooo hard to find a brand of shampoo that will suit me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hair used to be thick when I was younger, but I get hairfall na...I can relate nga haha to forty and beyond! Mine is more of abuse ata. Seriously. I don't ever go out without blowdrying my hair. I know it will damage the hair, but I have been doing it since I was a teenager. I color it, too, but no rebonding pa. I might consider digital curls once it gets too thin though

    ReplyDelete
  8. My personal trick is to use diff brands every other day. And I dilute them in water and not directly pouring on the scalp as they can be very harmful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having problems with my hair as well. :( It has always been frizzy but lately, I've also been experiencing hair fall and dry dull hair. Will try to follow some of your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had a hair cut today.My hair has always been limp. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! I'm only at my early 20s and my hair is thinning. I should panic, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great tips I should start following even though I am not yet at my 40's, hehe. Anyway, I just plan to maintain my hair length just above my shoulder because it's more manageable and it makes me look younger too. Haha.

    Mommy Maye
    www.momaye.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Naku I have hair problems too and I'm only in my early thirties! :( I think it's hormonal for me too but I'm also thinking of consulting with a dermatologist already. Isang taon ko nang pinoproblema to eh. But if you find something that works for you, share mo pa din ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am not 40 but i think im going to be bald. haha oh noes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chemicals from the shampoo or conditioner we use sometimes can make the hair go thinner. Hope things can go well for your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember hearing my mom complain about "old hair" before. I got her to change to an organic shampoo and conditioner, and I think her hair is improving now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm now in my mid 30s so I hope I'm still not yet too late to do something for my hair or my health in general. Sometimes, we take our health for granted and just act on it when we feel or see something not good anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a real pain dealing with hair issues; especially thinning hair. Your tips are good ones... and hydration is also important.
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stress can really make you lose your hair and I know someone who does and she loses her hair when she feel stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I noticed that when my hair is long, I have more hair fall. When I let it trimmed few months after I gave birth, the hair fall stopped. I am not in my 40's. But I almost there very soon.

    I'll try to keep your tips when my hair fall started again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in mid 30s and I notice my hair is falling, maybe because of excessive conditioners and overly done rebinding. :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hay naku, we have the same problem. I'm changing my shampoo every time I finish a bottle. I don't stick to one and I don't put any chemicals at all even. Don't blow my hair dry and those stuff, but still every shower, ugh! The mess of it all :( And I'm just in my 30's. I'm afraid that I'll be forced to cut my hair short once I'm in my 40's na :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are these also applicable to men? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  24. baldness is something i need to worry a bit.. it's in both my parents' line.... hehehe though i still have 9 more years before the 40th but reading through your list made me conscious about preparing for that time na... :D

    after my 1st pregnancy nalaman ko rin na your hair could get brittle... :-( lesson learned the hard way for me...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am shedding a lot of hair post partum. I have been using shampoos that says they counter hair fall but I dont feel the effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also did. My hair was falling a lot after giving birth. But it will grow back din

      Delete
  26. My nanay must be lucky as she dont have any problem with her hair aside from while hair at the age of 57..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Im not yet 40 but I really do suffer from excessive hairfall :(

    ReplyDelete