Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Treating my son’s fatty liver

When my eldest was 9 years old, which was in 2006, he was diagnosed with a fatty liver. If I could still remember my child’s pediatrician  explained,  that fatty liver is a buildup of fat within the liver, the fat causes swelling and scarring; the swelling and scarring can avert the liver to do its functions  such as –clean  the bloodstream of harmful substances and poisons, make bile which contains chemicals to help us digest the food we eat, control blood sugar and cholesterol levels,   and makes the proteins that allow blood to clot normal, also the swelling and scarring will lead to liver failure. 

I was so frightened and cried for my son’s health.
The pediatrician further explained that fatty liver is tied to obesity. My son was obese when he was in grade school. If I still can recall the symptoms that lead us to visit my child’s pediatrician, was that he constantly complains abdominal pain and get exhausted instantly.

My eldest undergo ultrasound to confirm the pediatrician’s suspicion of fatty liver. The ultrasound indeed verified the disease; it showed fats as well as how much fat has built up in his liver. The saddest part is when my child’s pediatrician told us that there is no medication for my son’s disease.  I weep loudly. And she advice us that to control the disease from worsening we have to manage my son’s weight, eat healthy foods and undergo regular exercise.

I take good care of my son. I want him to be healthy. It was two years of diligence and patience for the whole family. but at the end was rewarded.  Before his elementary graduation, back in 2008, he took on another session of ultrasound procedure and this time his pediatrician said he is cured. I was so happy hearing the pediatrician’s words. It was the sweetest words that I heard. 

So how I and hubby take good care of my son?  
  1. Change the family’s lifestyle – eat healthy foods, increase fruit and vegetables intake and exercise daily with our kids – walking, jogging around the neighborhood.  Changing lifestyle is really tough but we must do it for our son. The change in lifestyle will help my son to lose weight and all together would also lose fat in his liver.
  2. Shun from ALL processed foods.
  3. Pass up for junk foods.
  4. Never serve our son of fried foods.
  5. Avoid intake of fatty foods especially foods having triglycerides such as butter, margarines, mayonnaise, most COMMERCIAL snack foods such as pastries, cakes, doughnut, pies and crackers, jams, jellies, ice cream,  sweetened cereals, sweetened gelatin, fruit juices, sodas, smoothies and sweetened coffee drinks.
  6. Every summer we enrolled our son for swimming lessons.

31 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your determination! It's the bane of our modern lifestyle. What makes our life easier like processed food and fastfood in the end makes our life more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the changes that you are making to the family diet sees an improvement to your child's lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before, I just heard such illness to elders but now even kids may suffer from this one. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really hard to stick with healthy foods all the time. One fear I had before is to raise an obese child. This is because when my son was an infant he gains about 1.5-2kgs every month. Good thing our pedia said that we can control his diet by just giving him milk when he wants it. So we did that and luckily he is growing looking fit and healthy though he is a little larger than normal boy of his age. I also read about diet of a toddler now and from then on I don't feel guilty of regulating his diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that your son is okay now. I have also an officemate who was diagnosed with fatty-liver. But in her case, there were prescribe medicines which were very expensive. She was also asked to cut-down on rice and meat.

    Parang prone din kami to have fatty-liver. Lahat ata ng niluluto ko may butter plus mdalas fried ang ulam dahil ito ang pinakamabilis lutuin :( I hope we can have that determination to change our lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so scary to know somebody as young as nine can get fatty liver. We should really be determined to make the shift from fast food (which is all over mass media) to good food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all should be careful of foods we eat, especially me who has a fragile digestive system.

    Following you. Might wanna follow back? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should really watch what we put inside our mouth. Its really sad when people get lifestyle diseases since these are the ones that we can avoid by being aware.

    but at nine years old?! I hope your pedia would also mention how a nine year old get this disease so early? was it genetic? metabolic?

    I'm so happy to hear that your son is cured! Congratulations. YOu're a really good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God your son's cured. I can only imagine your terror when he was sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to her your son is cured now, my son loves to eat so I make sure he don't it too much to avoid obesity....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank God for His healing hand. Having a healthy lifestyle sure is rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are very solid actions to take. I am sure that all those combined will result in your son regaining his good health...and with the family supporting, I think you'll all benefit from that also. Don't fret that no medication can be given to have a quick fix. I think on a positive note, it's good that the causes are known and actions can be taken to address that. So keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Managing what we eat is important. Im surprised that a kid got this ailment.Thank u for sharing this. I try to feed my family a balanced diet every week, and i make our own cakes instead of buying the commercial ones and I still see to it that i eat a minimal amount of it only.Now i am more determined to eat healthy and to exerscise.thanks for yhe information that you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How's your son doing now? I was surprised to know that he has fatty liver at such a young age. My husband has been dealing with the same problem for two years now. Unlike your son though, he was given medication to help manage it. Then we also had to change his diet. His doctor also advised one glass of red wine a day, but of course, your son isn't allowed to drink that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! All your efforts paid off. I hope your son stays healthy. I wish I can avoid those food as well. I do not have health problems yet but I fear that my bad habits will catch up with me one day. huhu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheers to your son's good health! Is he able to take care of himself and make good eating choices? I hope so, so that you won't have to constantly monitor him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear the good news. I hope he'll continue staying healthy. I think we should all shift to healthy lifestyle and preserve our health. thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish you and your family good health. This post is very informative and helpful not only to those with the same condition but it choosing to live a healthier lifestyle. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! It's a good thing your family stick to the family diet; otherwise, all your efforts would be a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  20. God bless your child's good health.

    ReplyDelete
  21. do you have a diet or a meal plan that you stick to?i want my kids to eat healthy too to prevent illnesses related to lack of eating nutritious foods.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear your son is already in good health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bet I also need to do the tips you've list on how to take good care of your kids. My fatty belly is getting bigger since I got preggy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Healthy diet is really very important for kids... though sometimes this is my problem as a working mom, it's sometimes difficult to come up with healthy menu for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh thanks for sharing this! :) It's a wake-up call for us parents really to be watchful of our kids' diet. Especially these days when we are bombarded by processed and junk food. Good to know your child is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. naku nloka ako nung nabasa ko na at 9 your son was diagnosed with fatty liver agad... pero you're so good you were able to reverse that!!! too much sacrifice but at least you gave your son a really good shot at life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hay naku, I don't allow junk food for my kids too. nakakalusot lang minsan pag sister-in-law ko magbibigay.

    CE 11/13

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lifestyle modification is really the answer to all of this! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. In the end, it still means we have to take good care of ourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Fatty Liver Supplement

    ReplyDelete
  31. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Best Child Hospital in Jaipur

    ReplyDelete