Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bravo, Angelina Jolie!


I was not contented watching from the news last week that Angelino Jolie had removed her breast, I went online to know what more in that news, ha ha! Until I read Angelina Jolie’s article, My Medical Choice, in The New York Times.  Have you already read it?

After reading the article, what I said was...Bravo, Angelina Jolie!

I see Angelina Jolie  as a clever, courageous and practical woman. What she shared was very educational. And I think she accomplished her purpose that of going public her double  mastectomy, her experience will educate women, and that women still have options.

So, Angelina Jolie did a Preventive Mastectomy. What kind of medical procedure is this? It is the surgical removal of one or both breast. Having this kind of surgery may significantly reduce by about 90% the chance of developing breast cancer in moderate and high risk women.

The downside? It is irreversible. It can have psychological effects on a woman undergone a procedure because of changes of body image and loss of normal breast functions. This is the reason why I praise Angelina Jolie, I am sure she did have a very tough decision in her life.

Here’s a line that I love from her article:

“I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment